Brazilian telecom agency Anatel said that six telecom groups have submitted bids for Brazil's upcoming frequency tenders in the 2.5 GHz and 450 MHz bands. The bidding events are intended to help roll out LTE technology throughout the country.
The participating telecom groups are Claro...
Colombia’s Ministry of Information Technology and Communications (Mintic) and the Spectrum Agency (ANE) has announced that the start of the auction for spectrum in the 1.7/2.1 GHz, 2.5 GHz and 1.9 GHz bands will be postponed from Aug. 22 to Sept. 5 (check full...
Venezuela’s National Telecommunications Commission (Conatel) has announced an upcoming auction for three blocks of mobile spectrum within the International Mobile Telecommunications band 1710 MHz-2170 MHz.
The government said it aims to improve access to and the quality of mobile telephony services and broadband wireless networks....
The Federal Communications Commission moved forward with its controversial Mobility Fund, announcing the release of a public notice with the procedures for “phase one” of the reverse auction for universal service fund support. The fund is expected to provide up to $300 million in...
TIM is participating in Brazilian LTE auction, TIM President Luca Luciani said in a conference call today. TIM reported a 30% rise in first-quarter profit, with its share of the country's booming mobile market delivering solid revenue growth. Read the full report here.
The Brazilian government's...
Editor’s Note: Welcome to our weekly feature, Analyst Angle. We’ve collected a group of the industry’s leading analysts to give their outlook on the hot topics in the wireless industry.
In January 2012, Anatel opened the LTE-spectrum auction rules for public consideration. The rules included details...
Austria’s telecommunications regulatory body has postponed plans to auction wireless spectrum in the 800 MHz, 900 MHz and 1.8 GHz band targeting the launch of LTE services due to a pending acquisition by a pair of the country’s largest wireless operators. The auction was...
On April 12, the Brazilian National Telecom Agency Anatel approved bidding documents for the frequency bands 2.5 GHz (to be destined for fourth generation mobile telephony and LTE) and 450 MHz (to be dedicated for improving coverage in rural areas). Anatel said the auction...
A couple of days before the Brazilian national telecom agency Anatel’s intended announcement of the final auction framework of the radio frequency in the 450 MHz, 2.5 GHz bands, mobile carrier TIM released a statement warning of risks in what the telecom operator calls...
The Paraguayan National Telecommunications Commission (Conatel) has called for a second public consultation for the tendering of 1700-2100 MHz spectrum bands. The government has not yet set the date for the auction. Proposals need to be completed by April 13.
Conatel will take bids on the...
Colombia’s Ministry of Information Technology and Communication published for industry comments the draft resolution for the auction of spectrum in the 1.7/2.1 GHz, 2.5 GHz and 1.9 GHz bands. The auction is scheduled to begin August 8, with the deployment of mobile broadband services...
Brazil’s plans to auction radio frequencies in the 450 MHz and 2.5 GHz band has again been pushed back from the end of April until at least June. Brazil's telecom regulatory agency Anatel, confirmed to RCR Wireless News that bidding documents must be submitted...
Uninor, in its response, has stated that only Private Respondents (whose licenses have been quashed by the SC judgement) and fresh applicants (well funded entities with no link to incumbent operators) should be eligible to take part in the auction of spectrum that has become available after the SC cancelled 122 2G licenses.
Brazil’s 4G spectrum auction that was expected to happen in April, might not take place before May. Brazilian communications minister Paulo Bernado said during last week’s Campus Party technology event in Brazil, that the auction’s framework may be published on April 16 and then...
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Friday released a pre-consultation paper on 'Allocation of Spectrum in 2G band in 22 Service Areas by auction' following the Supreme Court of India's order cancelling 122 2G licenses.
The LTE spectrum auctions are changing competitive dynamics in mobile markets. Leading mobile operators are paying billions to achieve long-term spectrum dominance, while challengers are hoping to use acquired spectrum to deploy smart network solutions and boost their competitiveness. In this article, we assess who may be the winners and the losers of the spectrum poker.
Brazilian telecom regulator Anatel's board of directors approved the potential framework for the auction of radio frequency in the 451 MHz to 458 MHz band; 461 MHz to 468 MHz band and 2.5 GHz to 2690 MHz band. The tender is expected to be...
The end of one-time mobile broadband provider Open Range Communications is at hand as the company’s assets are set to be auctioned off beginning Jan. 11. Colorado-based Open Range, which provided wireless Internet and phone services using WiMAX technology across portions of 17 states,...
French regulatory body ARCEP said it has received four bids for 800 MHz spectrum licenses as a follow up to 2.6 GHz spectrum licenses issued earlier this year. The spectrum licenses are expected to be used by operators to roll out LTE-based 4G services.
The...
Nextel Mexico, the local unit of Virginia-based NII Holdings and Mexican group Iusacell have agreed to withdraw lawsuits and end litigation related to an October 2010 auction.
Subtel, Chile’s secretary of telecommunications, will disclose on Dec. 16 the new award conditions for the 4G auctions in the band of 2.6 GHz. The auction of three 20 MHz blocks of frequency is set for the first half of 2012.
Chile’s secretary of telecommunications (Subtel) is set to schedule an auction of 4G spectrum, which will enable LTE deployment in the country. Subtel has yet to spell out its requirements for the bidding, which is expected to happen in next year's first quarter, but...
The Brazilian government named João Batista de Rezende to a two-year term as president of Anatel, the country’s telecommunications regulator. Rezende will replace Ronaldo Sardenberg, Anatel’s president since 2009.
Among other challenges, Rezende faces a controversial April auction of 2.5 GHZ spectrum, which will allow...